Thursday, November 13, 2014

Transparency--Smeared and Smudged November Member Blog Hop

Today is the Smeared and Smudged November Member Blog Hop, and the theme this month is "Transparency."  This is my first time participating in the monthly member hop, and I'm excited to be here, except...

OK, I admit, I had a hard time with this one.  I rolled the idea of "transparency" around in my head for a while, and came up with exactly...nothing.  So I decided to just go down into my studio and start playing around, and eventually came up with something quite literal.


It's hard to see here, but there is a transparent layer atop the stamped poppies image; here the transparency layer is reflecting the flash.

Here you can see the transparent film a bit better, with the poppies image stamped on it as well as on the underlayer.  I offset the top tranparent layer of stamped poppies just a bit so that it would look a little bit 3-dimensional.

After making this, I know several ways in which I would change my techniques a bit if I were making it again, and I have several more ideas about transparency rattling around in my brainpan.  For example, I thought (too late, oh too late!) of the idea of transparency as it relates to color theory and how fun that would be to play around with. 

So, in a way, I guess, this monthly challenge did for me exactly what it's meant to do--got me back in my studio working and the ideas spinning!

Thanks for visiting, and please do visit the rest of the members on the hop today and enjoy their creations!


7 comments:

  1. I love your use of the transparent sheet and to offset the stamp..brilliant! I, too, had to think and think till my idea hit and it is very, very much a literal interpretation of transparent! But after looking at the hop I have so many more ideas and hope to use these techniques very soon. Terra really did a great job on making us work our brains for this one:) I love the coloring of your poppies so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tag and love how you've offset the transparency. it does look 3D. Great Hop. Love that it gets one thinking and creating. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tag - love the poppies! Having hopped I have seen so many different ideas using transparency - will have to try some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your poppies tag! I think you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome poppies! Love the clear layer, so fun to play with! I love the colors and tag. Great job! So awesome to see you on this Hop!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good Sarah and you did great on your transparency!
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to create a 3D project, and with such a pretty image! I love hearing about your creative process too, and love it when projects take a life of their own even when we're not sure what we're doing :)

    ReplyDelete